Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Superfood Experiment! The Goji Berry

I suppose we should talk a little about what Superfoods are… Superfoods are probably the most nutritionally potent foods on the planet according to David Wolfe. They include foods that have multiple properties that can boost the immune system, elevate serotonin, increase the libido, along with many other things including weight loss. How? First superfoods allow us to get more nutrition by eating less, and second, they balance the “acid-alkaline” in our bodies… Why is this important? Well, as I read on I found that the primary reason for weight gain is high acidity in our bodies, and in this state, our bodies hold onto extra water in order to dilute these acids. Even more important (to me), our bodies stores this excess acid in our fat tissue which leads to cellulite and gaining weight…BINGO – big selling point for me. If I can find a way to get this darn cellulite off my thighs I will be the happiest woman on earth!

Week 1

Today I woke up after a rocky night of hot flashes, cold sweats and feeling less than rested. First thing I did was to take out all my new Superfood products, lined them up on the counter and made my first super smoothie. I’m not going to lie, I was a little scared to drink it - but since I’m still here I guess it didn’t kill me.

My thoughts after the first sip – I thought it was a bit bitter but not bad enough to make me want to pour it down the drain. Did I notice anything different? Not 100 percent sure yet, but I did feel a more alert and did feel I was able to focus more, making it a very productive day. Also, and a big plus for me, is it didn’t repeat on me like most vitamins do (yuck) Trust me, if I can get all the nutrients my body needs without taking a pill – I’m in…..

First up for review – the Goji Berry – also know as the fountain of Youth. I am not going to go into the background of each superfood. I am mainly concerned with the benefits. If you are interested in learning more than I’m providing here, I strongly recommend purchasing the Superfoods book - it's really a great read.

Benefits: This berry strengthens all the bodies systems as well as helps it to deal with stress by supporting the adrenal glands. It boosts the immune function and help to increase alkalinity in the body. Along with being a complete protein source, Goji Berries have 4 times more antioxidant than blueberries do.

Now I’m not sure if you recall all the hoopla that has surrounded the Human Growth Hormone (HGH), but Goji Berries are said to be the only food known to help the body to produce HGH naturally. It is also said to enhance the libido by improving overall stamina, mood, well-being and decreasing stress. Since the Goji Berry is said to increase HGH and HGH controls the production of testosterone – I guess it would make sense it would make the libido a little happier, right?

Ok – this one is a keeper for me – it taste good, reduces the bodies stress, is said to stimulate the production the human growth hormone and will spice up my love life!

Saturday - Cacao – “the food of the gods” and Maca – Andres Aphrodisiac… Can this get anymore exciting!!

1 comment:

  1. Always wondered what the Goji berry was...haven't really gone into this superfood world at all! Thanks for starting this series...can't wait to find out more about the Camu Camu powder. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete