Sunday, December 27, 2009

Goal Setting

Today I was inspired by Sheila Viers Video blog at livewell360.com – Thanks Sheila!!

This is the time of year when we take a look back over the last few days and realize we may have over indulged a bit. We may have been a little less than diligent with our workouts. We may have had a few too many glasses of wine, etc. Well, I say this is not a time to beat yourself up, but a time to take a deep breath, shake if off and move forward. Move forward by making a plan, and by setting some goals. Nothing makes me feel better or more in control of my life than to have a plan, something to look forward to, especially if I plan little rewards for myself as I reach these goals.

So as Valerie Waters would say, it’s time to “decide” – One simple word with so much power. Take a minute and really think about what it is you want for yourself, and “decide” to make it a reality. Is it to be a healthier you? Is it to be able keep up with your kids? Is it to fit back into a size “X”? If so, why is this important to you? How do you plan on doing it? Is it by eating healthier foods? By watching the size of your servings? By making sure you eat five to six times a day to keep your metabolism stable? Is it by getting some cardio in? By getting some weight training in, and if so, how many times a week are you willing to do each? Honestly, it’s probably going to be a bit of all of the above which may sound a little overwhelming, but it’s not, all it really takes is a little planning. It's about creating a plan that works for you and your life, and who knows better what will or will not work for your life, than you – right? We are just going to break it down into baby steps -

Goal / Action Plan
So first – pick a goal. Try to put some feelings behind it to make it real. For example, “I want to lose weight to be healthy and to be a role model for my children.”

I will do this by preparing healthy meals for myself and my family 5 to 6 times a week.

  1. Once a week I will sit down and plan the family meals for the up coming week.
  2. I will then create my shopping list from the meals I’ve decided on.
  3. This menu will include 3 meals and 2-3 healthy snacks a day in order to keep my metabolism stable, and keep me from binging on things that are not healthy.
  4. I will not buy any thing that is not on my list.

I will do this by committing to getting in five workouts a week.

  1. Monday – 3 to 4 mile walk outside at 7:00 AM after kids get on the bus.
  2. Tuesday – appointment with personal trainer at 12 PM on lunch break
  3. Wednesday – Tennis with the girls 10:00 AM before Dr’s appt.
  4. Thursday – Walk after dinner with Family.
  5. Friday - $30 treadmill by Valerie Waters - anytime / anywhere!
  6. Etc, etc.

Of course the planning is the easy part. The follow through is the harder part. Life gets busy, things come up, yada, yada, yada ... It's true - things do come up. Sometimes we will miss a workout, sometimes we will eat something that wasn't planned, but the key is to get right back to it! Get back to your workout the very next day, get back to you meal plan the very next meal, and oh by the way, don't beat yourself up for it. We are all human. However, if you find yourself doing this more often than not, then this is where you really need to dig in and make yourself accountable. Make yourself accountable by finding a support system. Maybe it is a few of your friends on the same journey, maybe it's a forum, or maybe it's a health and fitness coach like me. Find what works for you and stick to it.

Remember - one day, one meal at a time; decide and focus on a goal; keep your goals realistic and do-able; put things in perspective - the weight didn't come on it a week, it's not going to come off in a week; and celebrate small victories - any accomplishment that is a step towards your goal, is a step in the right direction!

2 comments:

  1. That was great insight Lee Anne, thank you. I find myself always with a plan and no action behind it. It is getting that momentum started that is the hardedst part, and not sacrificing that momentum for anything. As I have gotten older, it takes longer to see results and maybe that is part of what makes it easy to "give up". Right now I have a fierce feeling within that is possibly what I needed to get started. This time I am doing it!

    ReplyDelete