Saturday, November 28, 2009

Do you need to lift weights to change your body?

I say YES!

One of my husband’s clients asked him if I train the same way now that I did 17 + years ago – this question was sparked by my 17+ year ago picture under “My Story” here in my blog. I guess if I think about it, the answer to this is yes and no. I did do step aerobics 3 times a week and a floor work twice a week which is really how women trained back then, but honestly there wasn’t a huge change to my body until I started to train with my then boyfriend, now husband, Mark. For some reason it didn’t bother me to train with him back then, maybe because I was trying to impress him, but besides that, I was really starting to see changes to my body, changes I had never seen before and I wanted more. Plus it was a blast to train with him at Big Al’s Gym – this place was definitely a “guys” gym, talk about working out old school. There were no fancy machines or equipment at this place, just free weights, a squat rack, benches, and bars.

I asked my husband if he remembered the specifics of my training back then. He said it was basically a full-body workout 3 days a week and step classes two times a week. Of course, I had to clean up my eating habits a bit, but I was also a lot younger back then so my metabolism was faster and it was much easier to get lean. With these positive changes I was able to get into the best shape of my life and yes for the first time I did see my ABS, who knew those things were under there – WOW!


What did I do from then to now?

Well, I obviously didn’t stay on course….. With work and life in general, fitness never really became a priority and my body paid the price. I became complacent, I worked out a few times a week and I didn’t really watch what I ate, drank, etc. – thus the 20+ pound weight gain.


How did I get it back?

By getting a support system! My husband has always been very supportive, and for me support has been vital to my success. I would not have reached my goals of getting back that body I had 17 years ago without it – and yes, I’ve been very lucky to have a great support system at home, but there is no doubt in my mind that the support I received my friends in the RCR forum put me over the top. I needed support from other women who were experiencing the same difficulties that I was. In the past I knew how to get in shape, but would lose focus and never really stay there. It’s not a quick fix or a fad diet, its consistency and eating clean. These women and their support help me get my “Sass” back, and I’ll forever love them for it.

The support I received was a type of coaching. It involved support, motivation, encouragement, mile-stones, accountability, and even a little tough love when needed. That’s why I’m so passionate about Coaching for Health and Fitness. This was MY missing link. What I’ve learned this past year has been invaluable to me – I learned how to manage my life, how to make me a priority, how to “plan for success” with food, how to make time to workout and really, it’s not that hard - I love the thought of passing that information along to others, I’d love to pass that information onto you.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts !

LA

2 comments:

  1. HI LeeAnne,

    Love the post! Along with consistency in weight/cardio training, you hit it with the love and acceptance factor that heals so many disorders - including eating/overeating....the RCR forums turned out to be a place where women, usually too busy to have nurturing friendships, got to meet up, share the struggles, goof ups, frustrations, sorrows,etc and receive support,encouragement, and kindred spirits without any judgement or harshness.
    Very hard for anyone to "love themselves," but when they feel loved by others, it can be such a plug to self worth, and makes the journey easier...
    Excellent insights my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leeanne,
    I was just thinking about this Missing Link you talk about. I think that is the key for everyone to getting healthier and living a happier life. Some people need the support system (I did too!), some need the program, some need the mindset change. I love your new blog and I cannot wait to read more from you. I'm so proud to call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete